These were written with the River Ridge Observatory in mind, but please consider adopting these practices no matter where you are observing with other people.
- Avoid the use of white lights wherever people are observing or seeking to retain their night vision.
- Do not point lasers at people, particularly green lasers, as they can impair vision temporarily.
- If parking before dark, back in and if your car lights are automatic, park facing north and near the exit. warn others nearby before opening your car door if the dome light is likely to come on or before turning you car lights on.
- Be conscious of white light from computers, tablets and cell phones.
- Don’t attempt to strike up protracted conversations with people who are at the eyepiece or computer key board; observing time and opportunities are limited and often require concentration.